Game Elements

 This week I read into different game elements. 

Firstly, I was really interested in learning about the motive behind Objectives / Goals within games. It is very important, in my opinion, to read into this. Every game must have a goal at the end of it, otherwise why would the player bother playing? It was interesting noting the different objectives that can keep a player engaged such as capturing, destroying, collection, solving, chase, or race! 

I read more into this here. This is an interesting read which goes further into detail about all the goals to consider when designing a game. 

I also learned about critical analysis. Which is more of a non-biased critical look at the game instead of a "fault-finding" look at it. This read taught me how to analyse a game and give feedback. I will now ask myself questions such as "How is the play of the game?" and "Do the games working parts fit together?"

Game Development on Unity
 

Secondly, I read an academic paper by Annakaisa Kultima (a Google Scholar and Game Researcher) on game design. In this paper it explains how when you realise Game Studies should be looked at as Design Research then you improve your game design. I thought this was an interesting point as it declares that gaming is not all fun and games (excuse the pun) but more so about the artistic craft behind the design and manufacturing process of the game. 

Furthermore, Annakaisa Kultima, goes into detail on how "Game Design" can have varying meanings to different designers. Some use the expression "Emotion Engineering" and others say that anything that goes into a game is part of the process. I decided to read further into this idea of gaming as Emotion Engineering and found a really interesting article that took a scientific approach for understanding game appeal. It talks about the cycles in game design and how people have hopes within their game playing experience. Have a read here.



Comments

  1. Hi Robyn, I agree 100% with you about the Objective/Goals they are very important in any type of game people make because these things make the player more into the game wanting to achieve and play more no matter how big or small it is it always counts. Hopefully you focus on this in the game you soon create. -Tochi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robyn, you seem interested in this module and learning about the different game features and elements. There is a lot of detail to this whole game design. I also found this information very useful because it helped me to develop my game better and I knew on what I had to focus on the most. Wish you Goodluck in your future game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robyn, it's me again haha.
    What you have said about the Objectives/Goals are totally right because this is how you based how and what your game is going to be. It will also keep you on track with your game development and does not let you get lost on the way~ Asking yourself about your game development is also a good idea because it will make you remember what you have/haven't done that you forgot to complete. I wish you luck creating your game as I am having trouble with mine hhaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Robyn,
    What you mentioned about the objectives and goals are right, because it's all about how you plan to base your game and what you want the experience to be like during game play. This will be you on track with your game so you don't fall behind and get stressed. Checking in with yourself about game dev is a good idea to keep yourself in the loop so you know what done and what you have to do. Best of lucking making your game!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction - Who is Robyn Trout?

Game Brainstorm