Feedback Thoughts

 This week I read two articles on feedback. 

The first article I read was Neil Gaiman's advice on a creative life. In the article I learned about how Gaiman has a different way of looking at mistakes. A good way! It was interesting to think about mistakes as being a tool in our lives to help us move forward and learn. I feel like from such a young age we are taught that making a mistake is a very bad thing, it's something you are worried about doing, feeling like you'll be judged. 

Neil has a great way of injecting the idea into our mind that making a mistake is a powerful step in life. I actually wish this read was a bit longer, but it leaves me interested to search more into Neil Gaiman and into his way of thinking. His beliefs are something that I'm very intrigued by.


~ Neil Gaiman

The second article I read was How to Get Past Negativity Bias. The article was written by Katrina Schwartz, a journalist from San Francisco who works for MindShift who explore the future of learning, cultural covering, and tech trends in education. (I followed their twitter and socials after this read!) 

This article was all about hardwiring our brains to look past all the negative situations and start looking for the positives. Our brains are currently trained to look for the bad in every situation. When we have an active day, although there may have been 3 or 4 positive happenings, we tend to tune in and only remember the one negative thing that occurred, forgetting everything else. 

The article mentioned Rick Hanson who is working on a process called "Self-Directed Neuroplasticity" which I thought was very interesting. The idea is basically trying to turn the tiny forgetful moments of happiness into long-lasting knowledge of well-being and strength. It is meant to be helpful to children who have trouble sitting still or have trouble concentrating (I wish I had looked into this as a child!)

Hanson created a very interesting acronym for his process which I really enjoyed reading through: HEAL

Have a good experience

Enrich it

Absorb it

Link it to something slightly negative (counterintuitively) 

Have a read of Rick Hansons interesting website here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction - Who is Robyn Trout?

Game Brainstorm

Game Elements